Mission, Goals, and Objectives
CRM is the management of NASA's historic architectural and archeological resources. Architectural resources mainly refer to real property, such as buildings, test stands, and launch pads; however, these resources can also include large personal property assets that are considered historically significant, such as rockets, equipment, airplanes, etc... Archeological resources include assets and artifacts from past uses of a property.
The purpose of NASA's CRM program is to manage cultural assets that are owned by NASA. NASA manages those assets that are considered historically significant to the local community, to the state or to the entire country and deemed worthy of preserving - as a cornerstone to NASA's contribution to America's history in aeronautics - and planetary and space exploration.
How CRM Supports NASA's Mission
NASA's CRM Program is managed by the agency's Federal Preservation Officer (FPO), Environmental Management Division, NASA Headquarters (HQ), and implemented by NASA's Center Historic Preservation Officer (HPO) at NASA's 13 Centers and component facilities. The agency-wide program provides the policy and procedures to ensure NASA complies with applicable CRM regulations, such as the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA). Non-compliance with the NHPA poses a potential schedule and cost impact to NASA missions that need to modify architectural assets that have known or possess potential historic significance. The HPOs complete the consultation process required under the NHPA to minimize the risk CRM issues pose to mission.
To learn more about NASA's CRM Program, please visit the CRM Portal.
CRM Regulatory Drivers
NASA Procedural Directives (NPDs) and NASA Procedural Requirements (NPRs)
- NPR 4310.1 Identification and Disposition of NASA Artifacts
- NPD 8500.1B NASA Environmental Management
- NPR 8553.1B NASA Environmental Management System
- NPR 8580.1 Implementing The Environmental Policy Act and Executive Order 12114
- NPD 8810.2A Master Planning for Real Property
- Abandoned Shipwreck Act of 1987
- American Antiquities Act of 1906
- American Indian Religious Freedom Act (AIRFA)
- Archeological and Historic Preservation Act of 1974 (AHPA)
- Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979 (ARPA)
- National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA)
- National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 (NHPA)
- Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA)
- 36 CFR Part 65 National Historic Landmarks Program
- 36 CFR Part 67 Standards for Evaluating Significance within Registered Historic Districts
- 36 CFR Part 79 Curation of Federally Owned and Administered Archaeological Collections
- 36 CFR Part 800 Protection of Historic Properties
- 43 CFR Part 7 Protection of Archaeological Resources
- 43 CFR Part 10 NAGPRA Regulations
Executive Orders (EOs)
- EO 13007 Indian Sacred Sites
- EO 13175 Consultation and Coordination with Indian Tribal
- Executive Memorandum Tribal Consultation
CRM Point of Contact
Jennifer Groman - NASA FPO
Learn more about NASA's CRM Program on the CRM Portal.