Witness History: Be inspired by giant, golden, fully-assembled James Webb Space Telescope mirror on display at NASA Goddard.
Are you an artist? If so, we have a unique opportunity to view the amazing and aesthetic scientific marvel that is the James Webb Space Telescope.
Webb has a mirror that is nearly 22 feet high and (to optimize it for infrared observations) is covered in a microscopic layer of actual gold.
Because of Webb’s visually striking appearance, we are hosting a special viewing event on Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2016, at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. Artists are invited to apply to attend.
Participants will have the opportunity to:
- Hear an introduction to the telescope and what it will help us to learn about the universe
- Talk with experts about the engineering challenges with building such a cutting-edge mission
- Get a behind-the-scenes tour of the center’s satellite integration and testing facilities.
- See the James Webb Space Telescope in person, and be given block of time to actively create.
- Share what they see and hear and create on their own social media platforms.
The goal of this Artist Event is to allow artist attendees to set up their supplies for their artistic medium of choice right in front of the telescope itself, and be given time to create. This can include things like sketching, drawing, painting, photography, and digital art. Artists who work in non-visual artistic media are also invited to apply. While creative works do not have to be finished in the time allotted, we intend to display the finished products at minimum in an online gallery. We are investigating the possibility of a live event to showcase the works created as well.
The applications for the James Webb Space Telescope Artist Event opens on this page on Oct. 20, and the deadline to apply is noon EDT on Oct. 25. All applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Do I need to have a social media account to register? Do I need a portfolio?
Yes. This event is designed for people who:
- Actively use multiple social networking platforms and tools to disseminate information to a unique audience.
- Regularly produce new content that features multimedia elements.
- Have the potential to reach a large number of people using digital platforms.
- Reach a unique audience, separate and distinctive from traditional news media and/or NASA audiences.
- Must have an established history of posting content on social media platforms.
- Have a portfolio of original art work available on an online platform. (This can include instagram, deviantart, flickr, a website, etc.)
Users on social media are encouraged to use the hashtag #JWST. Updates and information about the event will be shared on Twitter (@NASA, @NASAGoddard,@NASAWebb), Facebook (NASA, NASA Goddard, WebbTelescope) or Google+ (NASA, NASA Goddard).
Can I register if I am not a U.S. citizen?
No. Unfortunately, due to the time it takes for security to clear non-U.S. citizens, all participants must be U.S. citizens. If you have a green card, you will be processed as a U.S. citizen. For all participants, to be admitted, you will need to show government-issued photo identification that matches the name provided on the registration. Those without proper identification cannot be admitted. All registrants must be at least 18 years old.
What are the registration requirements?
Registration indicates your intent to travel to the Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. and attend the event in person. You are responsible for your own expenses for travel, accommodation, food and other amenities.
Some events and participants scheduled to appear at the event are subject to change without notice. NASA is not responsible for loss or damage incurred as a result of attending. NASA, moreover, is not responsible for loss or damage incurred if the event is cancelled with limited or no notice. Please plan accordingly.
The Goddard Space Flight Center is a government facility. Those who are selected will need to complete an additional registration step to receive clearance to enter the secure areas. To be admitted, you will need to show a government-issued identification (with a photo) that matches the name provided on the registration. Those without proper identification cannot be admitted. All registrants must be at least 18 years old.
Accessibility: All aspects of this event are ADA-compliant; please note that part of this event includes a tour of the NASA Goddard’s satellite testing floor.
Does my registration include a guest?
Because of space limitations, you may not bring a guest. Each registration provides a place for one person only (you) and is non-transferable. Each individual wishing to attend must register separately.
What if I cannot come to the Goddard Space Flight Center?
If you cannot come to the Goddard Space Flight Center to attend in person, you should not register for the Artist Event. You can follow the conversation using the #JWST hashtag on Twitter. If you cannot make this event, don’t despair; NASA is planning others in the near future at various locations. Check http://www.nasa.gov/social for other opportunities to visit.
When will I know if I am selected?
After registrations have been received and processed, an email with confirmation information and additional instructions will be sent to those selected and those on the waitlist. We expect to send notifications about Oct. 27.
Does registration for and/or attendance at the Artist Event qualify me for media accreditation?
Your Artist Event registration and/or attendance does not qualify you for news media credentials at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, now or in the future.
For artwork created at or as a result of this Artist event, you do confirm to NASA that:
- The artwork was produced by you (i.e. your original work)
- The contents of the artwork do not infringe the copyright or any other right of any third party
- No inappropriate content
- You affirm that you are either more than 18 years of age, or an emancipated minor, or possess legal parental or guardian consent. In any case, you affirm that you are over the age of 13.
- In the event any individual is featured in the artwork, you represent and warrant that such individual agrees that NASA may use such individual’s name and likeness in connection with NASA’s use of the image hereunder.
Your artwork must comply with the terms of service for social media sites such as the following:
By participating in the Artist Event, participants grant the U.S. government a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to reproduce, display and distribute entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed, for any educational, promotional, publicity, exhibition, archival, scholarly and all other governmental purposes, and to have or permit others to do so on the government’s behalf. NASA will use reasonable efforts to mark any artwork reproduced by NASA with credit as feasible. NASA will not be required to seek any additional approval in connection with such uses.
Have a question not answered here? Need more information? Help is available by sending an email to email@example.com.