Time Required: 2-3 days
In The Case of the Physical Fitness Challenge, the Treehouse Detectives are excited about their school’s participation in the upcoming President’s Challenge. Therefore, when RJ has difficulty keeping up with the fitness routine, they go into action to help him get back on track. Tony talks with NASA experts about the importance of physical activity and learns how astronauts must exercise before, during and after spaceflight. Tony also learns that physical activity is not possible without muscles. They then stop by to visit Dr. D as he works on his car. He explains how the body is similar to a car because it has many systems. The detectives decide that they might need to learn a little more about the skeletal system.
Objectives: Students will
• Determine the importance of physical activity to a healthy lifestyle.
• Discover how the heart pumps blood throughout the body.
• Locate their pulse points and calculate their heart rates.
• Prove that the more active a person is, the more the heart works to supply blood to the body.
• Confirm that muscle strength and endurance increase over time with good stress.
• Discover the relationship between muscles and bones.
• Learn about the different kinds of body joints and how they move.
NASA SCI Files — The Case of the Physical Fitness Challenge Segment 1
Video Component Description [604KB]
Watch NASA SCI Files — The Case of the Physical Fitness Challenge Segment 1
Segment 1 Description, Objectives and Vocabulary [615KB]
Let’s Get Physical [892KB]
Pumping up the Stress [1.2MB]
Stress This [1MB]
As We Are ‘Jointed’ Together [1MB]
Answer Key [758KB]
This segment is a part of The Case of the Physical Fitness Challenge Unit.