Students will work together as a team to design and build a heat shield that will protect the contents (candy) of a crew module (paper cup) from a simulated atmospheric reentry (hair dryer).
- Apply the steps of the engineering design process to successfully complete a team challenge.
- Design, build, and test a crew module heat shield.
- Explore concepts related to heat transfer, heat load, thermal resistance, and turbulence.
- Brainstorm ideas about what material characteristics will best protect the contents (candy) of the simulated crew module.
- Make observations and collect data to improve their design
Next Generation Science Standards: MS-PS3-3, MS-PS3-4, MS-ETS1-1, MS-ETS1-3
Common Core State Standards: CCSS.MATHPRACTICE.MP.1, CCSS.MATHPRACTICE.MP.3
This lesson plan is part of the “Crew Transportation with Orion Educator Guide.”