- Browse through our images and videos and see what inspires you.
- Create art! (Note: this is not limited to art you can hang on a wall.)
- Share it with us on social media.
In November 2016, a small group of artists was selected to visit NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, to see the James Webb Space Telescope in person, and to be inspired to create art. They have been busy ever since, producing amazing work that we are presenting for exhibit during Spring 2017 at the Goddard Visitor Center (date TBA).
Their offerings include painting, poetry, sculpting, textiles, woodworking, music, silk screening, 3-D design, jewelry, posters, tattooing and letterpress printing.
Though we were only able to physically accommodate a small number of artists, we were so impressed by the number of talented people who were interested in participating. We want to offer more artists a chance to participate virtually.
Create and Share #JWSTArt
There are three social media platforms that you can use to submit your work. You may also email us.
- Flickr: Submit your photos to the James Webb Space Telescope “Inspired” group
- Instagram: Use the Instagram app to upload your photo, and in the description include #JWSTArt
- Twitter: Share your image on Twitter and include #JWSTArt in the tweet
- Email: Email your artwork to GSFC-NASAWebb@mail.nasa.gov. Also, if you have a YouTube video or sound file to share, sending it via email will be the easiest way to make sure we see it.
If a #JWSTArt post or email catches our eye, we may share your work on our NASA James Webb Space Telescope social media accounts.
We may also display your image is slideshows such as the following.
Gallery of Submissions
This is a slideshow, hover on right and left side of image to reveal arrow buttons to sequence through the slides. Click any thumbnail for larger images and details. You can also view then entire gallery at once on Flickr.
Resources for Inspiration
- James Webb Space Telescope mission website
- JWST Science and Build Images
- All JWST Flickr Albums
- #JWSTArt Flickr gallery
- HD video downloads
More James Webb Space Telescope-inspired artwork
#JWSTArt Terms and Conditions
When submitting your image(s) to the #JWSTArt campaign, you do confirm to NASA that:
- The artwork was produced by you (i.e. your original work)
- The contents of the artwork do not infringe the copyright or any other right of any third party
- No inappropriate content
- You affirm that you are either more than 18 years of age, or an emancipated minor, or possess legal parental or guardian consent. In any case, you affirm that you are over the age of 13.
- In the event any individual is featured in the artwork, you represent and warrant that such individual agrees that NASA may use such individual’s name and likeness in connection with NASA’s use of the image hereunder.
Your artwork must comply with the terms of service for social media sites such as the following:
By participating in the Artist Event, participants grant the U.S. government a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to reproduce, display and distribute entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed, for any educational, promotional, publicity, exhibition, archival, scholarly and all other governmental purposes, and to have or permit others to do so on the government’s behalf. NASA will use reasonable efforts to mark any artwork reproduced by NASA with credit as feasible. NASA will not be required to seek any additional approval in connection with such uses.
Be advised that social media posts and websites that specifically list prices or “click here to purchase” wording cannot be shared by government accounts.
Learn More About Webb
What is the James Webb Space Telescope? (4th grade and up)