- Search the Landsat Image Gallery for an image that inspires you.
- Get crafting! This can be anything from watercolor paintings to knitted accessories to a tile mosaic – whatever sparks your creativity.
- Share your creation with us on social media using the hashtag #LandsatCraft
For almost 50 years, Landsat satellites have collected images of Earth from space, representing the longest continuous space-based record of our planet’s surface. It’s a joint mission of NASA and the U.S. Geological Survey, and both scientists and the public have free access to the 9 million scenes in this invaluable archive. Landsat images provide the ability to observe changes in Earth’s landscapes and coastal regions over time.
The images can be strikingly beautiful – see the Earth as Art galleries from our partners at USGS and an eBook from NASA as examples – but they’re much more than that. Behind the images are highly calibrated data that land managers and policy makers use to make decisions about Earth’s resources and our environment. Landsat has long provided often-unique information about agricultural productivity, ice sheet dynamics, urban growth, forest monitoring, natural resource management, water quality and the impacts of climate change on our planet.
In September, Landsat 9 is scheduled to launch and continue this legacy. In honor of the launch, we invite you to get creative and show us what Landsat means to you! Create art or make a craft that’s inspired by a favorite Landsat image or the satellite itself, and share it with us on social media.
Create and Share Your #LandsatCraft
After you have finished creating your Landsat-inspired craft or piece of art, take a picture and upload it to Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. Make sure you use the hashtag #LandsatCraft so we know that you are taking part in the event.
If a #LandsatCraft post catches our eye, we may share your work on our @NASAEarth social media accounts. We may also feature your art in a NASA Flickr gallery. You can follow @NASAEarth on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for submission updates and featured art throughout the summer.
Image Resources for #LandsatCraft Inspiration
Twitter: @NASA_Landsat or @USGSLandsat
#LandsatCraft Terms and Conditions
When submitting your image(s) to the #LandsatCraft campaign, you do confirm to NASA that:
- The artwork was produced by you (i.e. your original work)
- The contents of the artwork do not infringe the copyright or any other right of any third party
- No inappropriate content
- You affirm that you are either more than 18 years of age, or an emancipated minor, or possess legal parental or guardian consent. In any case, you affirm that you are over the age of 13.
- In the event any individual is featured in the artwork, you represent and warrant that such individual agrees that NASA may use such individual’s name and likeness in connection with NASA’s use of the image hereunder.
Your artwork must comply with the terms of service for social media sites such as the following:
By participating in the campaign, participants grant the U.S. government a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to reproduce, display and distribute entries, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed, for any educational, promotional, publicity, exhibition, archival, scholarly and all other governmental purposes, and to have or permit others to do so on the government’s behalf. NASA will use reasonable efforts to mark any artwork reproduced by NASA with credit as feasible. NASA will not be required to seek any additional approval in connection with such uses.
Be advised that social media posts and websites that specifically list prices or “click here to purchase” wording cannot be shared by government accounts.