Product Type: Lesson Plan/Activity
Grade Levels: 3-12
Publication Year: 2011
Subjects: Earth Science
This 5-E lesson connects the shape of Earth's surface (and the names of the features that correspond to those shapes and textures) to the processes that form them. It also introduces students to how scientists use Earth to gain a better understanding of other planetary bodies in the solar system.
In this lesson, students will:
- Identify common characteristics to describe features in images.
- Identify geologic features and how they form on Earth.
- Create a list of criteria to identify geologic features.
- Identify geologic features in images of other planetary bodies.
- List observations and interpretations, and draw conclusions about processes that shape the surface of other planetary bodies.
The guide includes students' pages and adaptations for younger students.
Blue Marble Matches teacher pages [4MB PDF file]
Blue Marble Matches student pages [2MB PDF file]
Blue Marble Matches Earth Feature Review Images [1MB PDF file]
Blue Marble Matches Feature Cards [1MB PDF file]
Blue Marble Matches Explore Cards [360KB PDF file]
Blue Marble Matches Quick Reference Sheet [302KB PDF file]