Hand Grip Dynamometer-Pinch Force Dynamometer (HGD-PFD) - 11.22.16
Hand Grip Dynamometer-Pinch Force Dynamometer (HGD-PFD) consists of two instruments that measure isometric force and sustained exercise using the full hand or the thumb and forefinger of a subject in microgravity for upper limb posture analysis. Science Results for Everyone
Information Pending Facility Details
Valfredo Zolesi, Ph.D., Kayser Italia Srl., Livorno, Italy
Kayser Italia Srl., Livorno, Italy
Sponsoring Space Agency
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate (HEOMD)
ISS Expedition Duration
April 2003 - April 2004; April 2005 - October 2005; October 2007 - April 2008
The Hand Posture Analyser investigation was performed during Increments 7 and 8.
- The Hand Grip Dynamometer-Pinch Force Dynamometer (HGD-PFD) instruments were developed for use in microgravity.
- The HGD is a hand-held device used to measure isometric (equal) force and sustained static exercise of the hand continuously for up to 300 seconds.
- The PFD is ¿a hand-held device used to measure isometric force and sustained static exercise of the thumb and opposing finger or groupings of fingers on each hand (not including opposing hand activity) continuously for up to 300 seconds. Hand posture analyzer operations consist of setting up the hardware, performing the protocols, and disassembling the hardware.
^ back to top
- Crewmembers remove the HGD-PFD hardware from stowage and setup the hardware.
- The required operational protocols are performed by the crewmembers with the HGD-PFD.
- Crewmembers stow the HGD-PFD hardware following completion of the protocols.
Decadal Survey Recommendations
Information Pending^ back to top
Information PendingResults Publications
Ground Based Results Publications
NASA Image: ISS008E21614 - International Space Station Science Officer Mike Foale uses the hand grip dynamometer to test forearm muscle fatigue for the Hand Posture Analyzer investigation during Expedition 8.
+ View Larger Image