JAXA Mouse Habitat Unit (JAXA Mouse Habitat Unit) - 11.22.16
Mouse Habitat Unit (MHU) is an unique investigation hardware of Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) for rodent research. This facility consists of 12 mouse cages with life support system, environment controlling system and observation system. MHU is attached to the Cell Biology Experiment Facility (CBEF), which is already onboard Kibo and has a centrifuge that enables to perform experiments on microgravity and artificial gravity simultaneously. Science Results for Everyone
Information Pending Facility Details
OpNom: JAXA Mouse Habitat Unit
Masaki Shirakawa, JAXA, Ibaraki, Japan
Hiroyasu Mizuno, Ph.D., Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, Japan
Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), Tsukuba, Japan
Sponsoring Space Agency
Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
ISS Expedition Duration
March 2015 - March 2016
- Mouse Habitat Unit (MHU) is launched by a USOS launch vehicle and transferred to ISS/Kibo for stowage.
- The experiment begins after mice arrival during a subsequent increment in Cage Unit for Transportation with Support Unit for ECLSS (Environmental Control Life Support System).
- Just before mice arrival, Mouse Habitat Cage Unit is installed in Cell Biology Experiment Facility (CBEF) located in the Japanese Experiment Module (JEM).
- Following the initial checkout of the installed hardware, mice are transferred from Mouse Transportation Cage Unit into the Mouse Habitat Cages.
- The data collection period of investigations may last more than 30 days.
- Images and environmental data are sent to the ground for monitoring and analysis.
- After experiment on orbit, living mice installed Cage Unit for transportation is returned to the earth.
Decadal Survey Recommendations
Information Pending^ back to top
Information PendingResults Publications
Ground Based Results Publications
Shimbo M, Kudo T, Hamada M, Jeon H, Imamura Y, Asano K, Okada R, Tsunakawa Y, Mizuno S, Yagami K, Ishikawa C, Li H, Shiga T, Ishida J, Hamada J, Murata K, Ishimura T, Hashimoto M, Fukamizu A, Yamane M, Ikawa M, Morita H, Shinohara M, Asahara H, Akiyama T, Akiyama N, Sasanuma H, Yoshida N, Zhou R, Wang Y, Ito T, Kokubu Y, Noguchi TK, Ishimine H, Kurisaki A, Shiba D, Mizuno H, Shirakawa M, Ito N, Takeda S, Takahashi S. Ground-based assessment of JAXA mouse habitat cage unit by mouse phenotypic studies. Experimental Animals. 2016 January 28; epub: 45 pp. DOI: 10.1538/expanim.15-0077. PMID: 26822934.