+ Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Student Education Employment Program
Stay-in-School Program at Goddard
(Government-wide eligibility requirements and other SIS Program features)
GSFC's Stay-in-School (SIS) Program
The Stay in School (SIS) Program provides Federal employment opportunities to students who are enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a degree seeking student. Students must take at least a half-time academic, technical, or vocational course load in an accredited high school, technical, vocational, 2 or 4 year college or university, graduate or professional school. The Stay in School Program is designed to integrate the students’ educational studies with a wide range of clerical, administrative, professional, and technical experiences that support the agency. The SIS Program provides a source of income to students to help pay the cost of tuition while attending school.
Upon graduation students are no longer eligible for the SIS Program.
Both FT/PT students participating in the Stay in School Program will be placed on a temporary appointment not to exceed one year.
A SIS student may be terminated at any time for any of the following reasons:
Responsibilities of SIS Student:
- Suspension, expulsion, or withdrawal from school
- Unsatisfactory work performance
- Unfitness for duty
- Failure to hand in transcript at the end of the semester/quarter or proof of enrollment at the beginning of the upcoming semester/quarter
- Inability of GSFC for administrative, manpower, financial reasons to retain the student in the job
How to Apply for a GSFC Stay-in-School (SIS) Position
- Adhere to the established work schedule (i.e., parallel (working back to back semesters) or alternate (working during alternate semesters)). The student must notify the GSFC SIS Coordinator and the supervisor when a change in work schedule is necessary.
- Use a courteous, enthusiastic, and professional approach to policies, procedures, and personnel within the assigned organization and occupation.
- Meet academic, performance, and conduct standards set forth by the educational institution and NASA's GSFC.
- Immediately notify the GSFC SIS Coordinator of changes in status (i.e., change in graduation date, transfer of schools, non-enrollment in accredited school).
- Provide transcripts and proof of enrollment in current semester to the GSFC SIS Coordinator and Supervisor when the following actions take place:
- Initial appointment
- Completion/Start of each semester/quarter
Forward a resume (to include GPA and estimated graduation date) to › GSFCfirstname.lastname@example.org