Gate to NASA Technology opens wider in Ohio
NASA's Glenn Research Center and two leading private sector partners have combined efforts to stimulate economic growth through development and transfer of new technologies.
In this latest effort, Glenn, Battelle's Great Lakes Industrial Technology Center (GLITeC), and the Ohio Aerospace Institute (OAI) established the Glenn Alliance for Technology Exchange during a ceremony at Glenn's Visitor Center on October 6.
Photograph: GATE panel members. Credit: NASA
Under the leadership of Glenn's Director, Dr. Julian Earls, Glenn is continuing on its "Journey to Tomorrow" by implementing recommendations from Northeast Ohio leaders that it become a leading-edge research and development center.
The recommendations include forging partnerships with higher education and industry to contribute to national research excellence and industrial commercial adaptation and use. According to Earls, "The alliance will strengthen our ability to improve Glenn's impact with new products and processes and will also contribute significantly to NASA's mission requirements in aerospace."
Specific efforts soon to be undertaken by the alliance include:
- Identify and establish a Research and Technology Platform, and conduct several demonstration projects within a field of technology of high interest to both Glenn and Northeast Ohio.
- Fund small and early stage Ohio companies to further develop Glenn technologies.
- Match Glenn-created technologies to Ohio companies for commercial development and application.
- Provide Glenn's technology assistance to solve specific problems faced by Ohio industry.
- Establish a Glenn Technology Partnership Fund to facilitate the co-development of technologies with Ohio companies to help meet NASA mission needs.
- Attract supplemental funding to support activities within the alliance.
The alliance will likely lead to new and exciting products and processes developed in Ohio as a result of partnering efforts between NASA and private companies as well as universities.
The Glenn Alliance for Technology Exchange will be led by OAI, and overseen by an Advisory Board comprised of representatives from Glenn, NorTech, OAI and Battelle. The Northeast Ohio Technology Coalition, or NorTech, is a group of technology and business leaders with a vision to enhance the prosperity of the region through science, technology, and innovation.
NASA's Glenn Research Center