National Aeronautics and Space Administration
John H. Glenn Research Center
Cleveland, Ohio 44135
Dr. Bruce T. Lundin
+ View High Resolution Image
Bruce T. Lundin, a native of Alameda, California, and a graduate in Mechanical Engineering of the University of California in 1942, began his scientific career with the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics in 1943 at the Lewis Research Center. He was initially engaged in heat transfer investigations and in improving the performance of our World War II aircraft engines. In 1946, he was placed in charge of the Jet Propulsion Research Section, which conducted some of this country's early research on turbojet engines.
In 1952, Dr. Lundin was appointed Chief of the Engine Research Division at the Center and became responsible for the full-scale engine program. Work that he directed over the next several years contributed significantly to the performance and reliability of today's commercial transport and supersonic aircraft jet engines. He also pioneered in research on large-scale ramjet engines.
When NACA became the nucleus of the present National Aeronautics and Space Administration in October 1958, Dr. Lundin was appointed an Assistant Director of the Center. In this capacity he directed much of the Center's expanded role in space propulsion and power generation. This role was further enlarged in December 1961 when he was appointed Associated Director for Development. His responsibilities included development of turbojet engines, chemical rockets, electric thrusters for spacecraft propulsion, and electric power generating systems for spacecraft using chemical, solar and nuclear energy sources. He also directed the development and operation of NASA's Centaur and Agenda launch vehicles for unmanned spacecraft and of spacecraft for investigating advanced methods of space propulsion.
In May 1968, Dr. Lundin was appointed Deputy Associate Administrator for Advanced Research and Technology at NASA headquarters and in March 1969 was named Acting Associate Administrator for Advanced Research and Technology. On November 1, 1969, he was appointed Director of the Lewis Research Center.
Dr. Lundin was a member of Tau Beta Pi and Sigma Xi, a Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, American Astronautical Society, the Royal Aeronautical Society and a Member of the American Society for Public Administration. He was also a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the U.S. Air Force and a Member of the NASA Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel. He was the recipient of Cleveland Technical Society Council's Technical Award in 1953, the NASA Medal for Outstanding Leadership in 1965, and was selected to deliver the 1966 Jennings Scholar Lecture. In March 1971, he received the NASA Public Service Award and in October 1971, NASA's highest award, the Distinguished Service Medal. He received the Order of Merit of the Boy Scouts of America in April 1975, and in March 1975, was awarded an honorary Doctor of Engineering Degree by The University of Toledo. In 1976, he received the National Space Club's Astronautics Engineer Award and was elected to the National Academy of Engineering.
# # #
- Dr. Lundin served as Center Director until August 26, 1977.
- Dr. Lundin passed away on January 24, 2006.
- The NASA Lewis Research Center was renamed the NASA John H. Glenn Research Center at Lewis Field on March 1, 1999.