Fly-by-Throttle Flight Control Bibliography
- Burcham, Frank W., Jr., C. G. Fullerton, Glenn Gilyard, Tom Wolfe, and J. A. Stewart, "Preliminary Investigation of the Use of Throttles for Emergency Flight Control," AIAA 91-2222, June 1991.
- Gilyard, Glenn, Jeanette Le, and Frank W. Burcham, Jr., "A Simulation Evaluation of a Four-Engine Jet Transport Using Engine Thrust Modulation for Flight Path Control," AIAA 91-2223, June 1991.
- Burcham, Frank W., Jr. and C. Gordon Fullerton, "Controlling Crippled Aircraft - With Throttles," Flight Safety Foundation paper, Nov. 1991.
- Burcham, Frank W., Jr. and C. Gordon Fullerton, "Controlling Crippled Aircraft - With Throttles," NASA TM-104238, Nov. 1991
- Azzano, Christopher P.,"A Preliminary Look at an Optimal Multivariable Design for Propulsion Only Flight Control of Jet Transport Aircraft," NASA CR-186014, Apr. 1992. NASA tech monitor: Glenn Gilyard.
- Burcham, Frank W., Jr., Trindel Maine, and Thomas Wolf, "Flight Testing and Simulation of an F-15 Airplane Using Throttles for Flight Control," AIAA 92-4109-CP.
- Burcham, Frank W., Jr., Trindel Maine, and Thomas Wolf, "Flight Testing and Simulation of an F-15 Airplane Using Throttles for Flight Control," NASA TM-104255.
- Urnes, James M. and Frank W. Burcham, Jr., "Application of Self-Repairing Flight and Propulsion Control Technology to Survivability of Damaged Commercial Aircraft," FAA Aircraft Hardening and Survivability Symposium, Atlantic City, NJ, Aug. 1992 (oral).
- Dornheim, Michael A., "NASA Develops Software to Control Aircraft with Throttles Alone," Aviation Week and Space Technology magazine, June 24, 1991.
- Schiff, Barry, "Out of Controls," AOPA, Oct. 1992.
- Burcham, Frank W., Jr., Trindel Maine, Gordon Fullerton, and Ed Wells, "Preliminary Flight Test Results of a Fly-by-Throttle Emergency Flight Control System on an F-15 Airplane" AIAA 93-1820, June 1993.
- "NASA Jet lands using engines-only flight control software," Aerospace Daily, Apr. 26, 1993, p. 166.
- "NASA achieves engine-only landing control," Flight International, May 5-11, 1993, p. 18.
- Gerren, Donna, "Design, Analysis, and Control of a Large Transport Aircraft Utilizing Engine Thrust as a Backup System for the Primary Flight Controls," NASA CR-192937, Mar. 1993.
- Discovery Awards, Aviation and Aerospace, Discover magazine, Oct. 1993, p. 59.
- Fullerton, C. Gordon, "Propulsion Controlled Aircraft Research," Society of Experimental Test Pilots Symposium paper, ISSN #0742-3705, Sept. 1993.
- Maine, Trindel, "Flight Results of an Augmented Fly-by-Throttle Flight Control System," SAE Aerotech, Sept. 1993 (oral).
- Burcham, Frank W., Jr., James Urnes, and L. Feather, Transport Aircraft Survivability Conference, oral presentations, Oct. 1993.
- Norris, Guy, "MD-11 test for new control idea," Flight International, Nov. 10-16, 1993, p. 11.
- Wells, Edward A. and James M. Urnes, Sr., "Design and Flight Test of the Propulsion Controlled Aircraft Flight Control System on the NASA F-15 Test Aircraft," NASA CR-186028, Feb. 1994.
- Dorr, Les, Jr., Coming In on Two Engines and a Prayer," NASA Magazine, Winter 1994, p. 14-17, Mar. 1994.
- Burcham, Frank W., Jr., John Burken, and Trindel Maine," Flight Testing a Propulsion-Controlled Aircraft Emergency Flight Control System on an F-15 Airplane," AIAA 94-2123, June 1994.
- Maine, Trindel, Peter Schaefer, John Burken, and Frank W. Burcham, Jr., "Design Challenges Encountered in a Propulsion Controlled Aircraft Flight Test Program," AIAA 94-3359, June 1994.
- "Safety Gets a Boost From Backup Software," 32nd Annual R & D 100 Awards, Sept. 1994, p. 25.
- "Propulsion Controlled Aircraft," Session with 5 papers in the F-15 HIDEC Electronic Conference, Sept. 1994.