NASA Advertising Guidelines
Strict legal regulations govern NASA policy regarding advertising requests. Companies interested in producing NASA-related advertisements must notify NASA's Public Services Division in writing (fax number: 202/358-4331) or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). Requests should describe the intended use of NASA imagery in the ads. If possible, layouts or storyboards of the advertisement should be included. When all legal requirements have been met, NASA will send the advertiser an approval letter. A general overview of NASA policy follows.
• As a Government Agency, NASA will not promote or endorse or appear to promote or endorse a commercial product, service or activity. Therefore, there are strict regulations on the use of any of the NASA identities and emblem imagery in advertisements.
• NASA does not permit use of the insignia and other NASA indicia in advertisements. Any use of the NASA identity on spacesuits and on the Shuttle is generally not permitted unless authorized by Headquarters Public Affairs.
• Any references to NASA in an advertisement must be factually accurate.
• Many NASA images and most film and video footage are in the public domain can be used for advertising purposes. However, there are rules regarding the appearance of astronauts' or NASA employees' faces or names in commercial activities. Astronauts or employees who are currently employed by NASA cannot have their faces or names displayed on any commercial products, advertisements or commercial product packaging. Astronauts and NASA employees who are retired from the Agency can grant permission for the use of their faces or names, but that permission may be subject to a fee. For deceased astronauts or employees, their families must grant permission for use of their images or names.
• Commercials are not permitted to be shot at NASA Centers.
• The NASA Insignia cannot appear on websites that contain open advertising unless approved by the Associate Administrator for Public Affairs.
• When all legal and policy regulations have been met and approval is obtained, the advertiser may contact the Photo Department at 202/358-1900 for information to access imagery. Footage can be purchased at the Center for Aerospace Information (301/621-0390).
• For more information, contact the Public Services Division at 202/358-1750.