Hangar One Overview

    Image of Hangar One at Moffett Field, Calif., taken in 1999. Image of Hangar One at Moffett Field, Calif., taken in 1999. Photo Credit: NASA Ames Research Center
    Click image to enlarge
     
    Moffett Field’s Hangar One is a recognizable landmark in the San Francisco Bay area and a part of its early aviation history. The Navy built Hangar One at Moffett Field in 1932 for the USS Macon and to serve as the West Coast base for the U.S. lighter-than-air aviation program. The Navy transferred the hangar to NASA in 1994 after Moffett Field was decommissioned.

    In 1997, during routine testing, NASA Ames discovered an unusual toxin called a polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB), specifically Aroclor 1268, in the Center's storm drain settling basin. Subsequent sampling programs determined in 2002 that the Galbestos used in 1932 to make the external siding of Hangar One, was the source of Aroclor 1268. As a result of the high levels of PCBs present in the Hangar One building components, Hangar One was closed to human use as required by the Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA).

Updates

Hangar One Images