|NASA Astronaut Answers Your Questions|
Kay Hire |
1. Jorge from Mexico asks, what are your thoughts in the first ten seconds of flight?
+ Answer (RealPlayer 2.11 MB)
2. Donna in Weyburn wants to know if any Discovery astronauts trade places to stay on the Station?
+ Answer (RealPlayer .93MB)
3. John from Syracuse states, as astronauts, you are viewed by many people around the globe as modern-day trailblazers, paving the way for future generations. In your opinion, why is it worth the risk to continue to send human beings into space even while fully automated remote technologies are improving.
+ Answer (RealPlayer 2.37MB)
4. Daniel from New Plymouth asks, what do the astronauts do in the last five days before launch?
+ Answer (RealPlayer 2.79MB)
5. Irvin for Rochester wants to know, are there physical or psychological tests this must be passed by an astronaut? If so, what are they?
+ Answer (RealPlayer 2.21MB)
6. Ernesto from Santa Clarita asks, do you think that children will ever be allowed to travel into space with the astronauts.
+ Answer (RealPlayer 1.76MB)
7. Jeff from Smyrna states, my son, Grant, wants to know what the astronauts eat and drink on a Shuttle flight.
+ Answer (RealPlayer 4.36MB)
8. Ian in Perranporth: On launch day, do the astronauts get much opportunity to be alone with their thoughts or is it all "go" with no time to really think? If the latter is the case, when do they feel that things have calmed down enough to think and realize the enormity and importance of what they're doing.
+ Answer (RealPlayer 3.18MB)
9. Joshua from Jacksonville asks can you grow seeds in space?
+ Answer (RealPlayer 1.23MB)
10. Derek from Miami wants to know what it feels like to launch into space, how does your body feel? Are you nervous?
+ Answer (RealPlayer 2.08MB)
11. Martine from Midlothian. We understand that each EVA is scheduled for six and a half hours. Is an EVA extremely fatiguing for the two astronauts and do they have backup EVA suits? Can you compare EVA's to scuba diving?
+ Answer (RealPlayer 4.12MB)
12. Raja in Manassas asks if the astronauts are trained to handle any medical emergencies on board.
+ Answer (RealPlayer 1.36MB)
13. Tom from Marietta is curious to know if astronauts' training has changed any in the last two years. If so, what has changed?
+ Answer (RealPlayer 1MB)
14. Adrian from Manchester asks do the astronauts' feel a temperature increase during re-entry due to the massive temperature increase outside the spacecraft.
+ Answer (RealPlayer 1.43MB)
15. Jayson from Samarra writes, being Stationed in Iraq, does the Shuttle ever cross over Iraq and is it possible that troops on the ground could spot the Shuttle in the sky?
+ Answer (RealPlayer 6.13MB)
NASA's John F. Kennedy Space Center