Strategic Integration manages and coordinates the NASA Technology Executive Council (NTEC) meetings. These meetings are chaired by the NASA Chief Technologist. Council membership includes the Mission Directorate Associate Administrators, the NASA Chief Engineer, and the NASA Chief Health and Medical Officer. The function of NTEC is to perform Agency-level technology integration, coordination, and strategic planning. NTEC's responsibilities include:
- Review, from an Agency perspective, the progress of each project level technology activity, against the baseline performance milestones.
- Assess the program level budget and schedule adequacy of the Agency's technology development activities to meet Agency strategic goals.
- Assess the Agency-level technology gaps, overlaps, and synergies between the Agency's technology programs.
- Assess the technology maturation progress against the Mission Directorate's goals, objectives, missions, and timelines, as well as the Agency technology roadmaps and strategic goals.
- Assess the balance and prioritization of the Agency's technology investment portfolio.
- Develop and review decisional recommendations regarding the Agency's technology investment plans.
Center Technology Council (CTC)
The CTC is organized and chaired by the Office of the Chief Technologist. Council membership includes the Center Chief Technologist (CCT) from each NASA Center (including Jet Propulsion Laboratory) and a representative from the Office of the Chief Engineer (OCE) and is observed by a representative from each Mission Directorate. The CTC focuses on institutionally funded activities and development of OCT programs. The responsibilities of the CTC include:
- Assess the Agency technology roadmapping and technology prioritization activities from a bottoms-up, institutional perspective and provide these assessments to NTEC.
- Provide NTEC with recommended changes in technology program scope, prioritization, and roadmapping from the Centers' perspective.
- Provide NTEC with "beyond-program" technology inputs for potential future development.
- Develop Center reports on the performance of the innovation and technology development activities at each Center.
- Identify inter-center technology leveraging opportunities.
- Develop technology reports (i.e., have the function to look outside the walls of NASA for technology opportunities).