OCIO Purpose, Vision, Mission and Principles
NASA IT Vision
The NASA IT organization is the very best in government.
To increase the productivity of scientists, engineers, and mission support personnel by responsively and efficiently delivering reliable, innovative and secure IT services.
NASA IT Principles
The following principles will guide tactical decisions and planning, as well as provide guidance that is relevant now and in the future:
- NASA IT must be mission-enabling and stakeholder and customer focused. Our services must meet the needs of our customers and be seen as a key enabler that helps our customers achieve their mission goals and objectives. We must include stakeholders and customers in our planning, execution and evaluation phases.
- Innovation is critical. NASA will identify, analyze and appropriately adopt value-added emerging information technologies in support of current and future mission, research and development, and mission support requirements.
- Teamwork is essential. We work in a matrixed and distributed IT environment and we must be able to communicate and trust one another. We rely on each other for success.
- Security is central to mission integrity. NASA will proactively manage IT security risks, while ensuring mission success.
- Affordability influences what is possible. NASA’s IT budget is under pressure. We need to collaborate with our customers to balance supply with demand to ensure that capabilities are affordable within the budget horizon and align with long-term strategic goals.
- Integration of processes and information is necessary for mission success. NASA must implement and maintain IT that enables the integration of processes and information across organizational boundaries and empowers NASA through information sharing.
- Effectiveness and efficiency are basic tenets. NASA will implement value-added IT that balances efficiency, effectiveness and risks.
NASA IT Values
In addition to NASA’s core values of Safety, Teamwork, Integrity and Excellence, the NASA IT organization shares common values that guide workforce behaviors. The IT values are:
- Customer obsession,
- Openness and transparency,
- Discipline, and
- Continuous learning.