Mentoring and Coaching
APPEL's Mentoring and Coaching activities provide the NASA project community with extensive resources to enhance project performance or to address project management challenges before they threaten project success while offering to strengthen individual skills. Agreed-upon coaching or mentoring activities are designed to achieve identified specific individualized goals confidentially while supporting specific work site requirements over a defined time period.
Subject matter experts (SMEs) are available for short-notice support to offer confidential mentoring or coaching in a wide variety of specialties. SMEs offer both technical and managerial expertise to function as technical advisors to explore innovative solutions to complex issues. The goal is to tap the deep reservoir of knowledge and experience across NASA to capture proven methods and avoid less-than-optimal results. Participants receive quick-response services that foster individualized knowledge transfer related specifically to work site issues, for the benefit of ongoing projects. APPEL SMEs average over 25 years of technical experience and 15 years of mentoring and coaching experience.
- Identifying a project's strategic and tactical opportunities.
- Using technical performance measures as a control response.
- Creating action plans with checklists and templates.
- Developing assessment metrics.
- Software management, including cost estimating and earned value.
- Planning and scheduling.
- Requirements and architecture development.
- Process development Integration.