Unmanaged risk exposure puts a project in jeopardy of missing cost, schedule, and technical performance goals. Early risk identification and management keeps a project on track to achieve its mission. APPEL provides NASA's project community with the knowledge skills, and tools to address risk management challenges before they threaten project success. Agreed-upon developmental activities are designed to achieve specific goals and are conducted over a defined time period. In addition, recurring activities may be planned for later phases of a project's life cycle.
Opportunity and Risk Management Workshops
Past NASA projects present a wealth of best practices useful to senior managers, project managers, and project team members responsible for assessing and managing the risks associated with a project. Recognizing potential risks and opportunities is only part of the solution, however. Workshop participants learn to identify and manage risks using analytic and programmatic methodologies and techniques throughout the continuous project life cycle-from early formulation through disposal. Tailored to meet a project's specific needs, workshops focus on ongoing issues of opportunity and risk identification, enhancement/mitigation, and project life-cycle management.
Continuous Risk Management Mentoring
APPEL's subject matter experts are available to assist project managers and team members in addressing critical risk management challenges. Project managers should contact APPEL or their Center training office for information about requesting support for risk management developmental activities.
- Identifying a project's implementation, product, and programmatic risks.
- Identifying a project's strategic and tactical opportunities.
- Quantifying, prioritizing, and analyzing project risks.
- Implementing an opportunity and risk management plan.
- Documenting a risk management plan, and gaining stakeholder approval.
- Using Technical Performance Measurement as a control response.
- Creating effective opportunity and risk checklists and templates.