Planning and Scheduling
APPEL's support programs enable a project team to produce high-quality results in the short term, using processes that better prepare them for future undertakings. Performance activities are designed to achieve specific goals over a defined period of time, but recurring activities may also be planned.
During project formulation, APPEL's Project Support consultants evaluate planning and scheduling needs and provide services including:
Mechanics of Precise Planning
Implementing a consistent, structured process makes it possible to create a project plan with appropriate attributes and level of detail to enable project success. In this tailored workshop, APPEL teaches the principles, methodologies, and mechanics of planning. Teams learn to convert technical requirements into measurable objectives, use the Work Breakdown Structure as an integration tool, estimate cost, validate schedule assumptions, and manage risk.
In planning sessions, APPEL mentors prepare project managers and their teams to deliver the right technical solution on time and on budget. Mentors assist teams to develop concepts, strategic plans, business cases, requirements, and Work Breakdown Structures, as well address any other planning challenges.
Practical application of scheduling requires the use of a software tool integrated into the project management system. This APPEL workshop helps project teams work with the scheduling tool of their choice as they learn to define project parameters, create a project plan, evaluate resources, establish a baseline, incorporate progress information, and produce earned-value reports.
- Defining the activities necessary to achieve project objectives.
- Integrating technical, schedule, and resource elements into a project plan.
- Developing a product-oriented Work Breakdown Structure, project logic network, and critical path analysis.
- Assessing organizational performance and internal processes.
- Selecting and using off-the-shelf scheduling tools.
- Incorporating resources, setting up a baseline, and building a schedule.
- Producing accurate earned-value reports.