Strategic Thinking for Project Success (APPEL-STPS)
This course is designed for experienced project and program managers, chief engineers, lead and senior systems engineers, and business group leaders.
This three-day course introduces concepts and methods for using strategic thinking as a logical foundation upon which to shape project definition and management.
In addition to lecture, relevant case studies and class dialog, the course uses the participants' experiences to practice hands-on strategy development.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the elements of strategy.
- Illustrate systems thinking using a SystemiGram®.
- Analyze project current reality to determine contribution to strategic objectives.
- Create a project vision statement that focuses project strategic thinking.
- Define Key Performance Parameters tied to the strategic objectives.
- Interpret organizational dynamics in a strategic context.
- Create a strategic decision model using systems thinking.
- Identify and implement relevant performance guideposts.
- Evaluate project outcomes based on strategic performance.
- Evaluate a project for possible termination when it will no longer achieve its strategic objectives.
Competencies and Technical Areas Addressed
- Strategic Thinking
- Systems Thinking
This course is registered by the Project Management Institute (PMI) for 24 Professional Development Units (PDUs). PMI Course ID: APPEL – STPS.