Team Leadership (APPEL-TL)
This course is designed for NASA's technical and administrative workforce, including systems engineers and project personnel who seek to develop the competencies required to succeed as a leader of a project team, functional team, or small project.
This three-day workshop is aimed at building capabilities for managing and facilitating team processes necessary to achieve successful team performance. Concepts, processes, and practices for developing and managing superior teams are shared, and opportunities to practice and sharpen team leadership skills and competencies are part of the course content.
This workshop provides a venue for learning new concepts and for sharing successful and unsuccessful strategies for leading teams. Role-playing, and small group activities reinforce learning. Lecture and both small and large group discussions allow participants to share experiences and benefit from the experiences of others.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Distinguish between leadership and management functions within project teams.
- Adjust leadership style to meet the demands and requirements of different situations and groups.
- Define and implement open and integrated communication approaches within and between teams to improve the interaction of the team members, increase buyin, and enhance performance.
- Build a cohesive team and establish common standards for performance and quality.
- Motivate team members to pull together to accomplish goals.
- Systematically solve problems and resolve conflicts within the team.
- Ensure that agreed-upon plans are implemented.
- Capture and apply lessons learned and best practices.
Competencies and Technical Areas Addressed
- Communication and Decision Making
- Mentoring and Coaching
- Team Dynamics and Management
This course is registered by the Project Management Institute (PMI) for 19 Professional Development Units (PDUs). PMI Course ID: TL0024