Space System Verification and Validation (APPEL-SSVV)
This course is designed for NASA's technical workforce, including engineers, systems engineers and project personnel involved in creating overall mission architectures, detailed designs, and the operation of systems.
This three-day course demonstrates the processes, information, and tools necessary to implement a credible verification, integration and test program. It provides exposure to NASA and Department of Defense (DoD) standards, lessons learned, tools, and experiences in validation and verification.
This course provides a hands-on system validation and verification learning laboratory. Lectures, small group exercises, and videos will also enhance the learning experience. Participants plan test campaigns, execute tests, integrate subsystems, and conduct test reviews using a unique desktop satellite called Eyasat.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the end-to-end systems engineering process and its application to system (and lower level) requirements definition, allocation, validation, and verification.
- Describe the purpose and scope of key documents required in the validation and verification processes, and describe typical errors committed.
- Describe various methods of verification, and determine when they are appropriate and how they are used as part of a verification plan.
- Assess applicability of verification methods to prototype and protoflight systems.
- Describe capabilities of various automated requirements tracking tools (e.g., CORE and DOORS) and their applicability to the validation and verification process.
- Develop, evaluate, and implement a master verification plan for a space system, including hardware, software and associated ground support equipment (GSE).
- Apply processes and techniques in a hands-on workshop associated with a system of interest.
- Identify applicable NASA, ECCS, DoD, and Industry standards and lessons learned to support system verification decisions and activities.
Competencies and Technical Areas Addressed
- Product Validation
- Product Verification