Developing and Implementing a Systems Engineering Management Plan (APPEL-SEMP)
This course is designed for NASA's technical workforce, including systems engineers and project personnel developing the competencies required to succeed as a leader of a project team, functional team, or small project.
This three-day course introduces participants to the processes that support planning, development and execution of a Systems Engineering Management Plan (SEMP). Participants learn how to create a SEMP in compliance with NASA standards. In addition, they learn how technical planning complements the project planning to create the next-level guidance for a technical team. They learn how to schedule technical reviews, systems engineering activities, technology insertion, and detailed technical activities. They learn the importance of technical management in the execution of any project, and how to use technical leadership to keep a project on track.
Learning is accomplished through lectures, discussions, group exercises, and other activities, including case studies involving the planning, development, monitoring and assessment of systems engineering activities using a SEMP. Cases emphasize NASA missions and systems.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the importance of technical planning and technical management.
- Describe how the technical plan coordinates with a project plan.
- Document a technical plan in a NASA-compliant Systems Engineering Management Plan (SEMP).
- Explain the NASA procedural requirements (NPR 7123.1A for systems engineering and 7120.5D* for project management) to create a technical plan.
- Define the technical work necessary and sufficient to complete a project.
- Describe the characteristics and elements of a good technical plan.
- Describe the flow of systems engineering activities that guide a project.
- Select appropriate technical reviews, metrics and measurements to assess project progress.
- Explain how to use the SEMP to control scope during project execution.
Competencies and Technical Areas Addressed
- Project Planning
- Systems Engineering Management
This course is registered by the Project Management Institute (PMI) for 23 Professional Development Units (PDUs). PMI Course ID: SEMP11