Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Reducing and reusing products promotes efficiency and cost avoidance. Recycling saves virgin material, product, energy, and water used in manufacturing and reduces the need to landfill.
Mission, Goals, and Objectives
By pursuing initiatives that enable environmentally sound mission success, NASA can continue to restore, protect, and enhance its mission resources. Initiatives such as waste diversion and the purchase of recycled-content, biobased content, and other environmentally preferable products benefit the environment and demonstrate our commitment to environmental stewardship.
How Recycling and Sustainable Acquisition Supports NASA's Mission
NASA's sustainability goals focus on making improvements in environmental, energy and economic performance to increase energy efficiency, reduce fleet petroleum consumption, conserve water, reduce waste, support sustainable communities in the workplace and beyond, and leveraging its Federal purchasing power to promote environmentally responsible products and technologies. By creating more efficient recycling systems and promoting green purchasing, NASA helps to protect the environment and NASA's mission resources for science, aerospace, and space exploration. Additionally, NASA's extended research and partnerships help to create opportunities for transfer of green-related technology, systems and tools to foster environmental stewardship. NASA's Lead Center for Recycling and Sustainable Acquisition (RSA) provides technical resources and program support for NASA Centers and the HQ Environmental Management Division.
Recycling and Sustainable Acquisition Regulatory Drivers
NASA Procedural Directives (NPDs) and NASA Procedural Requirements (NPRs)
- NPR 8530.1A Affirmative Procurement Program and Plan for Environmentally Preferable Products
- 40 CFR Protection of Environment
- 41 CFR Part 102-38-295 This regulation provides that Federal agencies may retain all sales proceeds from the sale of property related to waste prevention and recycling programs.
- FAR Case 2004-032 Biobased Products Preference Program
- FAR Subpart 23.4 Use of Recovered Materials
Executive Orders (EOs)
EO 13423 Strengthening Federal Environmental, Energy, and Transportation Management
- EO 13423 Instructions for Implementing EO 13423
- EO 13514 Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy, and Economic Performance
Recycling and Sustainable Acquisition Points of Contact