The United States Capitol Building.
Mission, Goals, and Objectives
The RRAC team proactively identifies, evaluates, and communicates regulatory issues of interest to the NASA Stakeholder community. RRAC communicates regulatory issues to the NASA community by providing:
- Biweekly regulatory reviews and risk analyses (distributed to email subscribers within the NASA stakeholder community and archived on this website).
- Regulatory alerts and summaries for significant rulemakings (distributed to email subscribers within the NASA stakeholder community and archived on this website).
- Briefings to Working Groups, Programs, and other NASA stakeholders.
RRAC also conducts regulatory outreach activities and assists the NASA community in regulatory risk mitigation.
How RRAC Supports NASA's Mission
The RRAC group supports the NASA Programs, Centers, and related stakeholders when representing their interests to environmental regulators during rulemaking activities. RRAC provides additional support by identifying, analyzing, and communicating potential risks to the NASA mission from both emerging and existing regulations.
RRAC Regulatory Drivers
Major Federal Laws and Executive Orders
- Clean Air Act (CAA)
- Clean Water Act (CWA) (original title: Federal Water Pollution Control Amendments of 1972)
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA, or Superfund)
- Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA)
- Endangered Species Act (ESA)
- Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA)
- Energy Policy Act
- Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA)
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
- Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA)
- Oil Pollution Act (OPA)
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA)
- Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA)
- Executive Order 13423, "Strengthening Federal Environmental, Energy, and Transportation Management"
- Executive Order 13514, "Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy and Economic Performance"
State Laws and Regulations
- State Environmental Agencies
RRAC Point of Contact
Sharon Scroggins - Team Leader – NASA Lead Center for RRAC