Mission, Goals, and Objectives
The NASA Energy Management Program is supporting the NASA mission through implementing energy efficiency processes in areas such as facility planning, design, construction, operations, maintenance, procurement, logistics, and other areas that impact consumption and supply of energy by following internal and external regulation and policy.
The Energy Management Program within the Environmental Management Division strives to meet regulation and policy requirements for energy efficiency, renewable energy use, and GHG emissions through minimizing consumption without affecting safety or mission operations, eliminating energy waste, and increasing the use of renewable energy when cost effective.
Specific areas include:
Energy Efficient Buildings
- Sustainable Design and Construction of new facilities
- New energy efficient technology
- Efficient maintenance and operation of new and existing buildings
- Increase use of renewable energy whenever cost effective
How Energy Management Supports NASA's Mission
NASA has established a strong internal network of energy managers at each Center, the Energy Community of Practice, which is managing the energy program at the local level and communicates with NASA HQ on regular basis. The Community of Practice is also increasing public and NASA personnel awareness of limiting energy use, promoting energy efficiency habits, and maximizing funds available for NASA programs and projects through reducing expenditures for energy and utilities.
NASA is also collaborating with other Federal agencies and the DOE Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP).
Energy Management Regulatory Drivers
NASA Procedural Directives (NPDs) and NASA Procedural Requirements (NPRs)
- Energy Independence & Security Act (EISA 2007)
- Energy Policy Act of 2005
- National Energy Conservation Policy Act (NECPA)
Executive Orders (EOs)
- EO 13423 Strengthening Federal Environmental, Energy, and Transportation Management
- EO 13514 Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy, and Economic Performance
Energy Management Point of Contact