Lesson Title: Reaction Rates
A whole antacid tablet and a crushed tablet are added to separate beakers of water so that their relative reaction rates can be compared.
• Discover conditions that make a reaction proceed faster or slower.
• Demonstrate how increasing the surface area of a chemical increases its reaction rate.
Lesson Activities and Sequence
Antacid Tablet Race
Students explore factors affecting reaction rates.
Keywords: chemical reactions, antacid, reaction rates, gas, liquid
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
• Properties and changes in properties of matter.
Science and Technology
• Abilities of technological design.
• Understanding science and technology.