Unit: Physical Science - Properties of Matter
Grade Levels: 4-6
Connection To Curriculum: Science
Teacher Prep Time: 10 minutes
Lesson Time Needed: 1 hour
Keywords: chemical reactions, antacid, gas, liquid
Antacid tablets (two per test)
Two beakers (or glass or plastic jars)
Tweezers or forceps
Watch or clock with second hand
Small block of wood
A whole antacid tablet and a crushed tablet are added to separate beakers of water so that their relative reaction rates can be compared.
• Discover conditions that make a reaction proceed faster or slower.
• Demonstrate how increasing the surface area of a chemical increases its reaction rate.
Reaction Rates Lesson
[126KB PDF file]
Lesson Activities and Sequence
Antacid Tablet Race
Students explore factors affecting reaction rates.
Keywords: chemical reactions, antacid, reaction rates, gas, liquid
• Properties and changes in properties of matter.
Science and Technology
• Abilities of technological design.
• Understanding science and technology.