Lesson Title: Nature of Salt
Students examine the molecular structure of salt and the elements that compose it.
• Explain the general relationship between an element's periodic table group number and its tendency to gain or lose electron(s).
• Explain the difference between molecular compounds and ionic compounds.
• Use a model to demonstrate sodium chloride's cubic form, which results from its microscopic crystal lattice.
• Describe the nature of the electrostatic attraction of the oppositely charged ions that holds the structure of salt together.
Lesson Activities and Sequence
The Nature of Salt
This lesson reviews the electrolysis of salt water.
Keywords: salt, matter, properties, ionic, molecular, compounds
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
Science as Inquiry
• Understanding of scientific concepts.
• Skills necessary to become independent inquirers about the natural world.
• Properties of objects and materials.