Lesson Title: Manipulating Waves
This lesson guide integrates a series of activities designed to demonstrate methods of manipulating waves and applications of that manipulation.
• Demonstrate methods of magnifying light waves.
• Operate a simple spectroscope to analyze spectra.
• Compare methods of transmitting and receiving electromagnetic waves for space communications.
Professional Development Training Module for This Lesson
Lesson Activities and Sequence
The suggested sequence starts with simple manipulation of the path of light and increases in complexity through spreading light by diffraction and interference to controlling electromagnetic waves for information transfer to and from space.
- Simple Magnifiers
Students use bottles, jars and water to create different magnifiers.
Keywords: reflection, refraction, diffraction, magnification, spectrum, medium, interference
- Exploring Diffraction With a Spectroscope / Constructing a Spectroscope
Students build a simple spectroscope and use it to investigate diffraction.
Keywords: waves, crest, magnitude, diffraction, spectroscope
- Space Operations Learning Center
Select the Space Communication mission training to go with this lesson. It explains how satellites transmit using the electromagnetic spectrum.
Keywords: waves, satellites, color, spectrum, space
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
Science as Inquiry
• Skills necessary to become independent inquirers about the natural world.
• Light, heat, electricity and magnetism.
History and Nature of Science
• Science as a human endeavor.
Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, NCTM
Number and Operations
• Understand the place value system.
• Generalize place value understanding for multidigit whole numbers.
Measurement and Data
• Convert like measurement units within given measurement system.
• Represent and interpret data.