Lesson Title: Gravity Games
This lesson guide integrates a series of activities designed to demonstrate gravity's role in recreation.
• Demonstrate the use of gravity as an energy source for motion.
• Identify aspects of gravity involved in various common games.
• Develop modifications to overcome the effect of microgravity on toys.
Professional Development Training Module for This Lesson
Lesson Activities and Sequence
The suggested sequence starts by introducing the need for gravity in recreation and progresses to studying different aspects of gravity's effects and modifying tasks to account for microgravity.
- Marble Run
Students use marbles and flexible pipe insulation to create roller-coaster style tracks.
Keywords: gravity, marble, toy, inertia, motion
- Spaced Out Sports
Students perform a series of activities to explore aspects of gravity's effect on games. The first four activities are relevant to this lesson.
Keywords: gravity, sports, games, center of mass, center of gravity
- Toys In Space
Students explore the effects of microgravity on toys and create modifications to them during a videoconference event.
Keywords: gravity, inertia, weight, mass, period, periodic motion
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
Science as Inquiry
• Skills necessary to become independent inquirers about the natural world.
• Motions and Forces.
• Transfer of energy.
Science in Personal and Social Perspectives
• Science and technology in society.
Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, NCTM
Number and Operations
• Perform operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with decimals to hundredths.
Measurement and Data
• Represent and interpret data.
Expressions and Equations
• Reason about and solve one-variable equations and inequalities.