Unit: Physical Science - Properties of Matter
Grade Levels: 4-6
Connection To Curriculum: Science
Teacher Prep Time: 4 hours
Lesson Time Needed: 4 hours
Keywords: liquids, box, experiment
For the chamber:
Empty copier paper box with lid
Metal edge ruler
Two pieces of 11 by 17 construction paper
Heavy cardboard cutting surface
Clear contact paper (optional)
For the lid:
Copier paper box lid
Clear, 2-inch packing tape
Two overhead transparency sheets
For the gloves:
Four jumbo plastic cups (32 oz)
Thick rubber bands (size #64 or wider)
Dish washing gloves (long)
Disposable surgical gloves
Low-temperature glue gun
Low-temperature glue sticks
Students design their own investigation of the characteristics of various liquids.
• Design a droplet investigation of liquids experiment.
• Design experiment hardware that can be used in their team's glovebox.
• Experiment with various fibers and liquids.
• Determine which fibers and liquids produce the most spherical droplet.
• Determine ways to mount fibers.
• Write instructions to conduct the activity.
• Present their conclusions.
Student Glovebox Lesson
[116KB PDF file]
Professional Development Training Module for This Lesson
Lesson Activities and Sequence
A model glovebox is constructed of a copy paper box and craft materials and used to investigate properties of liquids.
Keywords: copier paper box, gloves, ISS
Science as Inquiry
• Understanding of scientific concepts.
• An appreciation of "how we know" what we know in science.
• Understanding of the nature of science.
• Skills necessary to become independent inquirers about the natural world.
• The dispositions to use the skills, abilities and attitudes associated with science.
• Properties of objects and materials.
Science and Technology
• Abilities of technological design.
• Understanding about science and technology.