Lesson Title: Fluttering Fun, Point of Balance
To learn an object's center of gravity and how it can be changed.
• Investigate the concept of center of gravity.
• Determine the center of gravity of a two-dimensional object by balancing it on the top of a pencil.
• Change the center of gravity of a two-dimensional object by adding paper clips and balancing it on the top of a pencil.
Professional Development Training Module for This Lesson
Lesson Activities and Sequence
The NASA "Why?" Files: The Case of the Challenging Flight
Determine the center of gravity for the butterfly pattern.
Keywords: center of gravity, weight and balance
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
Science as Inquiry
• Understanding of scientific concepts.
• An appreciation of "how we know" what we know in science.
• Understanding of the nature of science.
• Skills necessary to become independent inquirers about the natural world.
• The dispositions to use the skills, abilities and attitudes associated with science.
• Motions and forces.
• Transfer of energy.
Science and Technology
• Abilities of technological design.
• Understanding about science and technology.
History and Nature of Science
• Science as a human endeavor.
Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, NCTM
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
• Use the four operations with whole numbers to solve problems.
• Generate and analyze patterns.
• Analyze patterns and relationships.
• Write and interpret numerical expressions.
ISTE NETS and Performance Indicators for Students, ISTE
Creativity and Innovation
• Create original works as a means of personal or group expression.
• Use models and simulations to explore complex systems and issues.
Communication and Collaboration
• Contribute to project teams to produce original works or solve problems.
Research and Information Fluency
• Plan strategies to guide inquiry.
• Process data and report results.
Critical Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making
• Identify and define authentic problems and significant questions for investigation.
• Plan and manage activities to develop a solution or complete a project.
• Collect and analyze data to identify solutions and/or make informed decisions.
Technology Operations and Concepts
• Understand and use technology systems.
• Select and use applications effectively and productively.
• Troubleshoot systems and applications.