Lesson Title: Fighting Gravity -- A Matter of Balance
This lesson guide integrates a series of activities highlighting what must be done to overcome effects of gravity for Earth orbit.
• Locate the center of gravity of an object.
• Experiment with designs for a heavy lift vehicle.
Lesson Activities and Sequence
The suggested sequence starts by introducing students to the concept of balance and then applies it to rocket launches.
- Fluttering Fun, Point of Balance
Students study balance using an irregular shape and paperclips.
Keywords: gravity, balance, center of mass, center of gravity, weight
- Heavy Lifting
Students configure balloons to carry a load of paperclips to the ceiling.
Keywords: friction, gravity, inertia, energy, microgravity
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
Science as Inquiry
• Skills necessary to become independent inquirers about the natural world.
• Motions and forces.
• Transfer of energy.
Science in Personal and Social Perspectives
• Science and technology in society.