Unit: Physical Science - Properties of Matter
Grade Levels: 4-6
Connection To Curriculum: Science and Mathematics
Teacher Prep Time: 20 minutes
Lesson Time Needed: 1-2 hours
Keywords: liquid, solid, gas, density, chemicals, matter, properties, alloys, cube, mass metals
Seven carbon fiber samples
Carbon fiber strip
Memory Metal pink book
Nitinol sample (inside front cover
of book; shaped to form the word "Ice")
300 ml of hot water
Density Cube Set
Six metal cubes
Blue sheet with graph of "% Zinc vs
Density of ZnAl Sample"
Students explore the properties of composite materials through a series of four demonstrations.
• Examine several samples of carbon fiber materials.
• Measure at least one sample and determine its volume.
• Calculate a sample's density.
Composite Materials Lesson
[112KB PDF file]
Lesson Activities and Sequence
Students explore the properties of composite materials through a series of four demonstrations (go to Structures and Materials section).
• Properties and changes in properties of matter.
• Properties and motions of objects.
Science as Inquiry
• Understanding the nature of science.
Science and Technology
• Understanding science and technology.
Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, NCTM
Measurement and data
• Geometric measurement: understand concepts of volume and relate volume to multiplication and to addition.