Lesson Title: Composite Materials
Students explore the properties of composite materials through a series of four demonstrations.
• Examine several samples of carbon fiber materials.
• Measure at least one sample and determine its volume.
• Calculate a sample's density.
Lesson Activities and Sequence
Students explore the properties of composite materials through a series of four demonstrations (go to Structures and Materials section).
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
• Properties and changes in properties of matter.
• Properties and motions of objects.
Science as Inquiry
• Understanding the nature of science.
Science and Technology
• Understanding science and technology.
Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, NCTM
Measurement and data
• Geometric measurement: understand concepts of volume and relate volume to multiplication and to addition.