Lesson Title: Bag Balloon
The students construct a working model of a hot air balloon.
• Investigate how heat can change air.
• Observe that hot air rises.
• Construct a hot air balloon.
Lesson Activities and Sequence
Students work in groups to build working models of hot air balloons using plastic bags.
Keywords: heat, air, gases, lift
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
Science as Inquiry
• Understanding of scientific concepts.
• An appreciation of "how we know" what we know in science.
• Understanding of the nature of science.
• Skills necessary to become independent inquirers about the natural world.
• The dispositions to use the skills, abilities and attitudes associated with science.
• Properties of objects and materials.
• Position and motion of objects.
• Properties and changes of properties in matter.
• Motions and forces.
Science and Technology
• Abilities to distinguish between natural objects and objects made by humans.
• Abilities of technological design.
• Understanding about science and technology.
History and Nature of Science
• Science as a human endeavor.
Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, NCTM
• Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving area, surface area and volume.
ISTE NETS and Performance Indicators for Students, ISTE
Creativity and Innovation
• Apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products or processes.
• Create original works as a means of personal or group expression.
• Use models and simulations to explore complex systems and issues.
Communication and Collaboration
• Contribute to project teams to produce original works or solve problems.
Research and Information Fluency
• Plan strategies to guide inquiry.
• Locate, organize, analyze, evaluate, synthesize and ethically use information from a variety of sources and media.
• Evaluate and select information sources and digital tools based on the appropriateness to specific tasks.
Critical Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making
• Identify and define authentic problems and significant questions for investigation.
• Plan and manage activities to develop a solution or complete a project.
• Use multiple processes and diverse perspectives to explore alternative solutions.
Technology Operations and Concepts
• Understand and use technology systems.
• Select and use applications effectively and productively.
• Troubleshoot systems and applications.