Lesson Title: Cool Spacesuits
This lesson will enable students to demonstrate, test and analyze materials utilized in spacesuits to keep astronauts cool in the harsh environment of space.
• Demonstrate the water cooling technology used in the International Space Station (ISS) Extravehicular Mobility Unit (EMU).
• Test and make an analysis of the relationship between reflection/absorption and color.
Lesson Activities and Sequence
- Keeping Your Cool
This activity demonstrates the principle behind the operation of the International Space Station Extravehicular Mobility Unit liquid cooling garment.
Keywords: spacesuit, EVA, astronaut health, space environment, circulation tubes, liquid cooling garment, siphoning
- Cool Suits
This activity engages students in testing and analyzing the relationship between reflection/absorption and color of the International Space Station Extravehicular Mobility Unit.
Also for this activity, have the students observe the NASA’s 21st Century Explorer 30-second newsbreak, "How will your imagination help you become an explorer?"
Keywords: absorption of energy, reflection, measuring temperature, extreme temperatures, space environment spacesuit, scientific process, line graphs, lab safety
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
Science as Inquiry
• Understanding of scientific concepts.
• Understanding of the nature of science.
• Skills necessary to become independent inquirers about the natural world.
Physical Science Standards
• Properties of objects and materials.
• Transfer of energy.
• Organisms and environments.
Science and Technology
• Abilities of technological design.
• Understanding about science and technology.
Science in Personal and Social Perspectives
• Personal health.
• Changes in environments.
• Natural hazards.
Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, NCTM
Measurement and Data
• Represent and interpret data.
Expressions and Equations
• Solve real-life and mathematical problems using numerical and algebraic expressions and equations.
ISTE NETS and Performance Indicators for Students, ISTE
Creativity and Innovation
• Use models and simulations to explore complex systems and issues.
Research and Information Fluency
• Process data and report results.
Technology Operations and Concepts
• Understand and use technology systems.
• Select and use applications effectively and productively.