Lesson Title: Using Robotics
This lesson includes a series of activities that are based on robotics applications.
• Simulate operating a planetary rover and problem solve solutions.
• Work within a mission team setting to problem solve and accomplish a common goal.
• Research examples of real-world applications of robotics.
Professional Development Training Module for This Lesson
Lesson Activities and Sequence
- Robotic Online Virtual Exploration Rover
To program the rover using a series of commands to avoid obstacles and reach a target destination before battery power runs out.
Keywords: give directions, computer
- Out of Sight Activity
To operate a robotic vehicle while it is not directly in view of the driver or operations team.
Keywords: remote control
- Rover Races
To have the rover driver design and execute a series of commands that will guide a human rover through a simulated Martian surface, allowing the rover team to experience some of the challenges of teleoperating a robotic vehicle on another planet.
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
Science as Inquiry
• Understanding of scientific concepts.
• An appreciation of “how we know” what we know in science.
• Understanding of the nature of science.
• Skills necessary to become independent inquirers about the natural world.
• The dispositions to use the skills, abilities and attitudes associated with science.
Science and Technology
• Abilities of technological design.
• Understanding about science and technology.
Science in Personal and Social Perspectives
• Personal health.
• Risks and benefits.
• Science and technology in society.
History and Nature of Science
• Science as a human endeavor.
• Nature of scientific knowledge.
• Historical perspectives.
ISTE NETS and Performance Indicators for Students, ISTE
Creativity and Innovation
• Apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products or processes.
• Use models and simulations to explore complex systems and issues.
• Identify trends and forecast possibilities.
Communication and Collaboration
• Interact, collaborate and publish with peers, experts or others employing a variety of digital environments and media.
• Communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences using a variety of media and formats.
• Develop cultural understanding and global awareness by engaging with learners of other cultures.
• Contribute to project teams to produce original works or solve problems.
Critical Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making
• Identify and define authentic problems and significant questions for investigation.
• Plan and manage activities to develop a solution or complete a project.
• Collect and analyze data to identify solutions and/or make informed decisions.
• Use multiple processes and diverse perspectives to explore alternative solutions.