Lesson Title: Build a Solar Oven
An engineering design challenge to design and build a solar box cooker, and test it out to see if it works well enough to make S'mores.
• Engage in the engineering design process to complete a team challenge building a simple solar-powered oven.
Professional Development Training Module for This Lesson
Lesson Activities and Sequence
Build a Solar Oven
Keywords: energy, solar radiation, data
- Review the design process.
- Show the video "Living on the Moon".
- List the specification of the solar oven challenge.
- Build the ovens.
- Create data charts.
- Share data and reports.
- Eat S'mores.
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
Science as Inquiry
• Understanding of scientific concepts.
• An appreciation of "how we know" what we know in science.
• Skills necessary to become independent inquirers about the natural world.
• The dispositions to use the skills, abilities and attitudes associated with science.
Earth and Space Science
• Energy in the earth systems.
Science in Personal and Social Perspectives
• Natural resources.
• Science and technology in local, national and global challenges.
Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, NCTM
Ratios and Proportional Relationships
• Analyze proportional relationships and use them to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
• Solve real-life and mathematical problems involving angle measure, area, surface area and volume.
ISTE NETS and Performance Indicators for Students, ISTE
Creativity and Innovation
• Apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products or processes.
• Use models and simulations to explore complex systems and issues.
Research and Information Fluency
• Plan strategies to guide inquiry.
• Process data and report results.
Critical Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making
• Plan and manage activities to develop a solution or complete a project.