Lesson Title: Mars Pathfinder Egg Drop Challenge
Design, build and drop your "Pathfinder" from a high place and see if your payload (egg) survives.
• Demonstrate an understanding of the of challenges of soft landing a spacecraft on Mars.
• Design, build and test their own interplanetary lander.
Professional Development Training Module for This Lesson
Lesson Activities and Sequence
- Mars Pathfinder Egg Drop Activity
Keywords: design process, landing, Newton's laws
- Mars Pathfinder Landing on YouTube
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
Science as Inquiry
• Understanding of scientific concepts.
• An appreciation of "how we know" what we know in science.
• Skills necessary to become independent inquirers about the natural world.
• The dispositions to use the skills, abilities and attitudes associated with science.
• Motions and Forces.
• Transfer of Energy.
Science in Technology
• Abilities of technological design.
ISTE NETS and Performance Indicators for Students, ISTE
Creativity and Innovation
• Apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products or processes.
Critical Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making
• Plan and manage activities to develop a solution or complete a project.
Research and Information Fluency
• Plan strategies to guide inquiry.
• Locate, organize, analyze, evaluate, synthesize and ethically use information from a variety of sources and media.
• Evaluate and select information sources and digital tools based on the appropriateness to specific tasks.
• Process data and report results.
Technology Operations and Concepts
• Understand and use technology systems.
• Select and use applications effectively and productively.
• Troubleshoot systems and applications.
• Transfer current knowledge to learning of new technologies.