Lesson Title: Solar System Missions
In this lesson, students reference a website containing a comprehensive review of all planetary missions to-date.
• Investigate the historical and current planetary exploration missions.
• Explore multimedia and formal and informal educational activities geared towards their grade level, interests and abilities.
Lesson Activities and Sequence
Solar System Missions
- Use the search engine on the Solar System Missions home page to find information about a particular planetary space mission.
- The multimedia section provides numerous short videos, sounds and interactive activities for the students.
- Formal and informal education activities can be found in the Education section on the left side of the home page.
Keywords: planets, discovery, Dawn, Deep Impact, Voyager, moon, Apollo, Mercury, Gemini, space shuttle, space station, Soyuz, Mir, New Horizons, history, rovers, unmanned, probes, Galileo, Cassini, Messenger, SOHO
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
Science and Technology
• Understanding about science and technology.
History and Nature of Science
• Science as a human endeavor.
• History of science.
Earth and Space Science
• Earth in the solar system.
ISTE NETS and Performance Indicators for Students, ISTE
Research and Information Fluency
• Evaluate and select information sources and digital tools based on the appropriateness to specific tasks.