Lesson Title: What Influences Planetary Weather?
This lesson combines a series of activities to provide students with an understanding of the dynamics of weather on planets.
• Create a simulation to model how the principles of the Coriolis effect influence weather patterns on a planet with gaseous atmospheres.
• Research the characteristics of what makes a planet habitable by engaging in a Web-based interactive game.
Professional Development Training Module for This Lesson
Lesson Activities and Sequence
Demonstrate the true and apparent motions of objects as they move across the real Earth.
- Atmospheric, Geology, and Design a Planet
Explore what makes a world habitable. This interactive website allows students to determine what makes a planet habitable and hospitable for life.
National Science Education Standards, NSTA
Earth and Space Science
• Origin and evolution of the earth system.
• Structure of the earth system.
• Earth in the solar system.
History and Nature of Science
• Science as a human endeavor.
Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, NCTM
Ratios and Proportional Relationships
• Analyze proportional relationships and use them to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
Expressions and Equations
• Understand the connections between proportional relationships, lines and linear equations.
National Geographic Society
The World in Spatial Terms
• How to use mental maps to organize information about people, places and environments in a spatial context.
ISTE NETS and Performance Indicators for Students, ISTE
Creativity and Innovation
• Apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products or processes.
Critical Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making
• Use multiple processes and diverse perspectives to explore alternative solutions.