Unit: Earth and Space Science - Universe
Grade Levels: 7-9
Connection To Curriculum: Science and Technology
Teacher Prep Time: 1 hour
Lesson Time Needed: 4 hours
Keywords: stars, nebula, Hubble Space Telescope, galaxy, stellar evolution
Drawing supplies (colored pencils or crayons)
20 pocket-style sheet protectors
Four composition-style notebooks
Science display board
Package of pipe cleaners (multicolored)
Felt markers (multiple colors)
This lesson guide integrates a series of activities designed to look at how we are protected from the sun's atmosphere.
• Contrast the geologic features of Venus and Mars with Earth in terms of protection from solar radiation.
• Employ data about solar emissions to produce a space weather newscast.
Is It Safe? Lesson
[109KB PDF file]
Professional Development Training Module for This Lesson
Lesson Activities and Sequence
The suggested sequence introduces students to the geologic features, which protect life on Earth from solar radiation, and then leads students to study the daily fluctuations in the solar atmosphere to produce a space weather report.
Astroventure Geology Mission
Students explore the roles of various geologists as they compare the geology of Earth, Mars and Venus in an online tutorial and activity.
Keywords: astrobiology, radiation, planetary geology, space weather, magnetosphere
Space Weather Action Centers
Students investigate solar storms and their effect on the Earth to produce a space weather daily report.
Keywords: space weather, radiation, magnetosphere, aurora, northern lights
Science as Inquiry
• Skills necessary to become independent inquirers about the natural world.
• An appreciation of "how we know" what we know in science.
• Interactions of energy and matter.
• Transfer of energy.
Earth and Space Science
• Earth in the solar system.
History and Nature of Science
• Science as a human endeavor.
ISTE NETS Performance Indicators for Students, ISTE
Research and Information Fluency
• Process data and report results.
Critical Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making
• Collect and analyze data to identify solutions and make informed decisions.