High School Internships at Glenn – Applications now being accepted starting November 10, 2014
The Glenn High School Internship Project (GHIP) provides paid summer internship opportunities, 8 weeks in duration, to students interested in careers in science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM) and professional administration at the NASA Glenn Research Center (GRC). This educational project offers opportunities for 10th and 11th grade students who will be juniors and seniors in the upcoming school year and is sponsored by the NASA GRC Office of Education (OE).
The GRC High School project engages students with an intensive internship experience in a research and development environment while under the guidance of a GRC scientist, engineer, technician, or administrative professional that serves as the student’s mentor. The project is designed to expand the student’s understanding of possible career choices that are available at NASA. The project schedule includes oral presentations and a variety of enrichment activities.
The OE is committed to increasing the number and diversity of students from underrepresented and under-served communities in NASA-related STEM fields. Traditionally, underrepresented groups in STEM include females, African-American, Hispanics, Native Americans, Pacific Islanders (natives of the Philippines, Guam, American Samoa, or Micronesia), and disabled students. Please be advised that while the project is open to all equally qualified candidates, GRC is very interested in recruiting applicants who belong to a recognized underrepresented group in STEM.
1. - The applicant must be a U.S. citizen and 16 years old on or before the project start date.
2. - The applicant must be a permanent resident of Ohio and currently enrolled in a high school located within a 50-mile radius of GRC.
3. - The applicant must be a current sophomore or junior at the time of application.
4. - The applicant must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
5. - The applicant must be available on a full-time basis (Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week) from June through August.
Students seeking to participate in this project must apply at the OSSI website at http://intern.nasa.gov by March 1, 2015. Applications will not be accepted after the March deadline.
1. - Log In/Register at the OSSI site (http://intern.nasa.gov)
2. - Create and maintain student profile.
3. - Apply for internships that begin with the title “GHIP” – check site periodically for postings.
5. - Save opportunities of interest.
6. - Applications are reviewed and mentors select student(s), March
8. - Student receives offer letter with additional project information, April/May.
Start date: June 15, 2015
End date: August 07, 2015
Point of Contact
For application questions, contact OSSI Help Desk at 1-866-419-6297 or e-mail MSFC-DL-HelpdeskMSFC@mail.nasa.gov
Project Manager: 216-433-3768
E-mail: GRCemail@example.com with subject line being “Glenn High School Internship Project”