STEREO Science Objectives
- Understand the causes and mechanisms of coronal mass ejection (CME) initiation.
- Characterize the propagation of CMEs through the heliosphere.
- Discover the mechanisms and sites of energetic particle acceleration in the low corona and the interplanetary medium.
- Improve the determination of the structure of the ambient solar wind.
STEREO provides a unique and revolutionary view of the Sun-Earth system. The satellites trace the flow of energy and matter from the Sun to Earth as well as reveal the 3-D structure of coronal mass ejections and help us understand why they happen. STEREO also provides alerts for Earth-directed solar ejections, from its unique side-viewing perspective adding it to the fleet of Space Weather detection satellites.
- First stereo viewing of Sun from out-of-Earth-orbit vantage points.
- First imaging and tracking of space weather disturbances from Sun to Earth.
- First continuous determination of interplanetary shock positions by radio triangulation.
- First simultaneous imaging of solar activity with in-situ measurement of energetic particles at 1 AU.