Communications and Outreach 2 - Podcasts (Communications and Outreach 2-Podcasts) - 03.24.16
To share the excitement of space exploration, inspire and ignite interest among Canadians in Canada's next space mission, Expedition 34/35, Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield will record a series of short video podcasts from the ISS in a maximum of 9 sessions (some prime, some reserve) ranging from 16 to 57 minutes in duration. These video podcasts will be distributed to Canadian media, posted on CSA's Website and other social media tools in an effort to reach out to Canadians all across the country. Science Results for Everyone
Information Pending Experiment Details
Carole Duval, Communications and Public Affairs, Quebec, Canada
Canadian Space Agency (CSA), Longueuil, Quebec, Canada
Sponsoring Space Agency
Canadian Space Agency (CSA)
ISS Expedition Duration 1
September 2012 - September 2013
Previous ISS Missions
CSA has sponsored similar investigations (i.e. video podcasts) in previous missions, such as Expedition 20/21 with Robert Thirsk. However, the content varies for all podcasts.
- To raise Canadians' awareness and interest in Expedition 34/35 mission with a Canadian astronaut on board.
- Astronaut Hadfield will record a series of short video podcasts, in English and in French, for the CSA to use for promoting the mission. Scripts will be provided for all sessions.
- We are targeting an increase in CSA's mission activities media coverage, in CSA's website visits, in CSA's social media accounts' followers and in public event invitations for astronauts mainly during the period of the mission.
These video podcasts will be posted on the Canadian Space Agency website, offered to Canadian media, distributed to partners and posted on other social media tools in an effort to reach out to Canadians, particularly Canadian youth, nationwide and ignite an interest in Expedition 34/35 with Canadian Space Agency astronaut Chris Hadfield and also in the Canadian Space Program.
These video podcasts will be unique as they will be recorded by astronaut Chris Hadfield while floating freely in the weightless environment of the ISS. Canadians will be proud to see a fellow Canadian in space representing Canada and playing such as critical role in space exploration.
Six sets of video podcasts are proposed for this increment which are:
- podcast 1: four 2-minute video podcasts in English for projects with partners such as Juno’s, Governor General, Bank of Canada, Rick Hansen Institute;
- podcast 1: three 2-minute video podcasts in French for projects with partners such as Juno’s, Governor General, Bank of Canada, Rick Hansen Institute;
- podcast 2: three 10-minute video podcasts in English for projects with National Film Board (NFB) and Daily Planet;
- podcast 2: one 10-minute video podcast in French for a project with National Film Board (NFB);
- podcast2: three 2-minute video podcasts in English for outreach capsules for CSA;
- podcast2: three 2-minute video podcasts in French for outreach capsules for CSA.
It is preferred that astronaut Chris Hadfield perform the video podcasts. When ready to record the podcasts, astronaut Hadfield will locate and set-up the hardware (NASA on board Canon G1 Camcorder, P/N: SEZ33120850-802, is recommended), place the Camcorder on a wall and position himself in-front to tape the podcasts. Operations required to prepare, perform and take down the equipment will be done by Chris Hadfield alone.
There is no time constraint for the podcasts.
- Locate the NASA Canon G1 Camcorder on board ISS.
- Position Camcorder on a wall. Tape script on the wall close to Camcorder.
- Astronaut Hadfield will then position himself in-front of the camera, read script (in English and in French when applicable).
- Repeat operations for all podcasts.
- Take down and stow equipment.
Decadal Survey Recommendations
Information Pending^ back to top
^ back to top