NASA Awards Helium Contract
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- NASA has selected five companies to provide liquid and gaseous helium for 17 agency locations, including centers and facilities.
This new fixed-price requirements contract with economic price adjustment is for the acquisition of approximately 12.5 million liters of liquid helium and 235.7 million standard cubic feet of gaseous helium during a five-year period of performance starting Oct. 1. It has a maximum potential value of approximately $56.5 million. The awardees are:
- Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. of Allentown, Pa., has been awarded about $18.7 million of the base contract plus options.
- Linde LLC of Murray Hill, N.J., has been awarded $80,000 of the base contract plus options.
- Matheson Tri-Gas, Inc., of Basking Ridge, N.J., has been awarded $3.8 million of the base contract plus options.
- Praxair Distribution Inc. of Austin, Texas, has been awarded $553,000 of the base contract plus options.
- Praxair Inc. of Danbury, Conn., has been awarded $33.4 million of the base contract plus options.
NASA uses helium as a cryogenic agent for cooling various materials, precision welding applications, lab use, as an inert purge gas for hydrogen systems, and as a pressurizing agent for the space shuttle's ground and flight fluid systems.
The total period of performance for all awards is five years, with a three-year base period plus two one-year options. The base contract period ends Sept. 30, 2012. Option 1 would extend the contract is from Oct. 1, 2012, to Sept. 30, 2013. Option 2 would extend the contract from Oct. 1, 2013, to Sept. 30, 2014.
NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida is responsible for the acquisition of helium on behalf of the agency.
For information about NASA and agency programs, visit:
- end -
text-only version of this release
NASA press releases and other information are available automatically by sending a blank e-mail message to
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a blank e-mail message to
Back to NASA Newsroom |
Back to NASA Homepage