Melissa Mathews/Katherine Trinidad
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
April 27, 2005
NASA Invites Media to Shuttle Countdown Dress Rehearsal
The Space Shuttle Discovery crew will go through a countdown dress rehearsal at NASA's Kennedy Space Center (KSC), Fla., May 1 through 4. The rehearsal is in preparation for NASA's Return to Flight. Launch of the Discovery flight, designated STS-114, is targeted for May 22 in a launch window that extends until June 3.
The Terminal Countdown Demonstration Test (TCDT) is held at KSC prior to each Space Shuttle flight. It provides the crew of each mission an opportunity to participate in simulated countdown activities. The test ends with a mock launch countdown culminating in a simulated main engine cutoff. The crew also spends time undergoing emergency egress training exercises at the launch pad. A list of media events follows. (All times are EDT.) Sunday, May 1
(Media must arrive at the Press Site by 7:30 p.m.)
* 9 p.m. - PHOTO OPPORTUNITY: The seven-member crew of mission STS-114 arrives at KSC's Shuttle Landing Facility.
* 9:10 p.m. - STATEMENT: STS-114 Commander Eileen Collins makes comments to the media. No media questions. Monday, May 2
(Media must arrive at the Press Site by 4:30 p.m.)
* 6:15 p.m. - PHOTO OPPORTUNITY: Commander Eileen Collins and Pilot Jim Kelly perform Shuttle Training Aircraft flights (departure only). Tuesday, May 3
(Media must arrive at the Press Site by 7 a.m.)
* 8:45 a.m. - MEDIA Q&A and PHOTO OPPORTUNITY: News media will have an opportunity to speak informally with the crew and photograph the astronauts at Launch Pad 39B. Media must be present to ask questions. However, the event will be carried live on NASA TV. Wednesday, May 4
(Media must arrive at the Press Site by 6 a.m.)
* 7:45 a.m. - PHOTO OPPORTUNITY: STS-114 crew departs for Launch Pad 39B.
* 11:50 a.m. - PHOTO OPPORTUNITY: STS-114 crew returns to Crew Quarters.
* 1:45 p.m. - STATEMENT: STS-114 Commander Eileen Collins makes comments to the media at the Press Site. No media questions.
* 2:30 p.m. - PHOTO OPPORTUNITY: STS-114 crew departs for Houston from the Shuttle Landing Facility.
Media who have already applied and been approved for the STS-114 launch do not need to reapply for TCDT credentials. The credentials will be honored from this event through the STS-114 landing. Media may pick up their badges for the TCDT and the STS-114 launch at the Pass and Identification Building on State Road 405 beginning at 6 a.m. Friday, April 22. Media must have two forms of identification to be issued a badge.
Media accreditation for STS-114 is closed at Kennedy Space Center. April 15 was the deadline for media representatives to request accreditation for TCDT and the other events surrounding the STS-114 launch.
Media must be properly dressed in long pants and closed shoes with low heels. Sleeveless shirts are not allowed.
Since event times are subject to change, please call the KSC media codaphone at 321/867-2525 for the latest updates.
For the latest information on NASA's Return to Flight efforts on the Internet, visit:
- end -
text-only version of this release
NASA press releases and other information are available automatically by sending a blank e-mail message to
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a blank e-mail message to
Back to NASA Newsroom |
Back to NASA Homepage