Space Technology Mission Directorate
The nation’s investments in space technology enable NASA to make a difference in the world around us. The Space Technology Mission Directorate (STMD) is responsible for developing the crosscutting, pioneering, new technologies and capabilities needed by the agency to achieve its current and future missions.
STMD rapidly develops, demonstrates, and infuses revolutionary, high-payoff technologies through transparent, collaborative partnerships, expanding the boundaries of the aerospace enterprise. STMD employs a merit-based competition model with a portfolio approach, spanning a range of discipline areas and technology readiness levels. By investing in bold, broadly applicable, disruptive technology that industry cannot tackle today, STMD seeks to mature the technology required for NASA’s future missions in science and exploration while proving the capabilities and lowering the cost for other government agencies and commercial space activities.
Research and technology development takes place within NASA Centers, in academia and industry, and leverages partnerships with other government agencies and international partners. STMD engages and inspires thousands of technologists and innovators creating a community of our best and brightest working on the nation’s toughest challenges.
By pushing the boundaries of technology and innovation, STMD allows NASA and our nation to remain at the cutting edge. STMD:
• Advances broadly applicable, transformational technology to infuse solutions into applications for which there are multiple customers
• Competitively selects research by academia, industry, and the NASA Centers based on technical merit
• Leverages the technology investments of our international, other government agency, academic and industrial partners
• Coordinates with internal and external stakeholders, including academia, industry and other government agencies
• Results in new inventions, new capabilities and the creation of a pipeline of innovators aimed at serving future national needs
• Grows the nation’s innovation economy and creates high-tech jobs